Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Hope

Food for thought from Patterico:

I have endured some criticism for saying that Barack Obama, with whom I disagree about almost everything, is a good man trying to do what he thinks is right for this country.

Some commenters have disagreed, citing Obama’s support for grisly forms of late-term abortion; his attendence of a church with a pastor who said anti-American things in some of his sermons; his relationship with unrepentant terrorist Bill Ayers; his disturbingly close relationship with corrupt individuals such as Tony Rezko; his broken promises; and his many falsehoods about John McCain. They point to his campaign’s inappropriate use of the race card; his disabling of credit card verification checks; his minions’ attempts to silence free speech with threats; and much more.

There is something to all that, and I don’t think we should pretend these things didn’t happen, or give Obama a false halo. The fact is that John McCain did some things that weren’t too savory during this campaign as well, and as the saying goes, politics ain’t beanbag. Good men do bad things, and in the pursuit of ambition, they almost always do. Barack Obama is not perfect, by any stretch of the imagination.

What’s more, I think he will damage this country with bad policies. I’m not going to pretend otherwise. Inevitably, he is going to take actions that I think are disastrous, and somebody will come back and say: “Hey, Patterico! I thought you said Barack Obama was a good man!” Yes, but I never said he wasn’t going to do horrible things. It’s quite clear he will.

Well, I certainly hope Obama is a better man than the one I saw in this campaign. Whatever his positive qualities, I cannot help but see a combination of the weaknesses and character flaws that defined Presidents Nixon and Carter.

I'd love to be proven wrong.

But I'll note that Obama has picked Rahm "Republicans can go fuck themselves" Emanuel to be his chief of staff.

Can't you already feel the healing?

2 comments:

mnotaro said...

This is just one battle in the midst of a war...we will get our country back hopefully from the liberal illuminati...hopefully they won't have totally ruined it by then

knowitall said...

Our country will be in a bad state under the left-wing illuminati, and we must turn out in the future years to get the Ivy-Leaguers out of control. It is a must people!