Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Iraq = Vietnam ad Nauseum

In case you missed it, Chistopher Hitchens is a little queasy after hearing too much "Iraq is another Vietnam" chatter. (Note the huge breasted Pythonisms in the foreground.) Beating a Dead Parrot: Why Iraq and Vietnam have nothing whatsoever in common.

I suppose it's obvious that I was not a supporter of the Vietnam War. Indeed, the principles of the antiwar movement of that epoch still mean a good deal to me. That's why I retch every time I hear these principles recycled, by narrow minds or in a shallow manner, in order to pass off third-rate excuses for Baathism or jihadism. But one must also be capable of being offended objectively. The Vietnam/Iraq babble is, from any point of view, a busted flush. It's no good. It's a stiff. It's passed on. It has ceased to be. It's joined the choir invisible. It's turned up its toes. It's gone. It's an ex-analogy.


No comments: