Sunday, February 13, 2005

Beware The Paparazzi Of Racine

Employee of Miller distributor says beverage choice cost him job:

RACINE, Wis. (AP) -- A local man may have found out firsthand just how nasty the competition is between the world's two biggest beermakers.

Isac Aguero, 24, said he was fired from his job with a Miller Brewing Co. distributor, the same day a picture appeared in The Journal Times of Racine of him drinking a Bud Light, brewed by St. Louis-based Anheuser-Busch Cos.

The photo, taken Feb. 5, was part of the newspaper's weekly "On the Town" feature, which depicts the city's night life.

Aguero, who had been a forklift operator at CJW Inc. for four years, told the newspaper he was told by co-workers when he arrived at work Monday that he was in trouble because of the picture.

He said he was called into the general manager's office and told he was fired. Aguero said he was not given a reason and claimed he never had problems with his bosses.

"It was a Saturday and I wasn't at work," he told The Journal Times. "They can't tell me what beverages I can drink."

Bud Light's my beer of choice, I always drink that. Just because I work there, do I have to change what I drink?"

I'm not sure what's more interesting here, the fact that someone was fired for drinking Bud Light (sure that's evidence of bad taste, but c'mon!) or the fact that a forklift operator at the local beer distributor's night on the town makes the newspapers.

Racine must be one hell of a town.

No comments: