Thursday, January 11, 2007

A Confirming Sort Of Day

Well, I've been looking around the blogosphere all day and it has really reinforced my belief that the whole surge/escalation brouhaha was in reality a non-story. (You can read through TMV extensive catalog of weblog reaction here. You can come back and tell me if you learned much about Iraq you didn't know before. I'll guess the answer will be "not really.")

It reminds me of what an earth shattering event the release of the Iraq Study Group report was to be. Oh, the breathless anticipation we all felt last fall, until the fateful day it was released! Oh what joy!

Of course now, the ISG report holds all the currency of a JC Penny catalog from 1997. ("Turtleneck sweaters for 14 bucks!") Somehow we all moved on without our world being changed, even though the "climate of opinion" told us nothing would be the same.

I'll let you all in on a little secret I've picked up from a little guy named Socrates...the "climate of opinion" is almost invariably wrong.

The blogosphere today fairly reeks of the "climte of opinion."

Enough said.

No comments: