Monday, January 24, 2005

You Know Your Sporting Life Stinks When....

...the most exciting thing going on is labor trouble. Ugh.

First there was the NHL lockout destroying the hockey season, the only sport that can guarentee getting me through the winter entertained. I'm not a big NFL guy, I positively hate the NBA, and while I support both the Saint Louis University Billikens and the Missouri Tigers basketball teams, neither are all that easy to keep up on from a distance. Being a fan just isn't the same if you don't get a chance to see any of the games. It's gotten to the point that I almost never turn on ESPN unless they are showing a U.S. National Team soccer game.

And then the U.S. Nats go and have labor trouble of their own. But at least things seem to have settled down on that front for the moment. (See, USA Strike Action Called Off )

Spring training, for Major League Baseball & Major League Soccer, cannot come soon enough for me. I'm not just saying that because I'm freezing my butt off here in west central Minnesota; I really need some sporting events I care about.

I'm not looking forward to two weeks of Super Bowl hype....and then I think about the NHL not coming back next winter either....it can make a grown man weep.

No comments: