Friday, January 28, 2005

Yet Another Reason To Hate Academia

From The Rocky Mountain News: CU prof's essay sparks dispute: Ward Churchill says 9/11 victims were not innocent people

Ward is that bastard, sorry "Scholar", who insisted that everyone in the World Trade Center on 9/11 was asking for it anyway. Apparently this is good enough scholarly activity for a full professor at the University of Colorado. Ward (M.A. Sangaman State--yep, he didn't need no stinkin' Ph.D, at least for tenure in Ethnic studies at Colorado), is just one of the latest examples of the degredation of the term "scholar" in academia today. For example, one sub-text to the recent Larry Summers scandal at Harvard was the "disgust" that was generated when Summers refused to agree to tenure for a "Hip-Hop Scholar" (a term so silly that it doesn't even rise to the level of oxymoronic.)

Sheesh, I've got a couple of M.A. degrees and a several hundred Cd's. In fact you could call me (or I could at least call myself) a "Power-Pop Scholar." Now, please give me a job for life!

Now, if you'll excuse me I'm off to do some research....that is drink a cup of tea and listen to "A Hard Days Night."

No comments: