Sunday, July 29, 2007

The Afterlife Must Be Really Boring

From the AP: 100-pound dumpling caps Pierogi Fest

A businessman who said a dead relative told him in a dream to cook the world’s largest pierogi believes he and a friend did just that Saturday at Pierogi Fest.

Tim King said his uncle sent him on a mission to create a monster dumpling filled with potatoes and cream cheese when he appeared in a dream three years ago.
“I am half-Polish and have been around pierogi all my life. And, believe it or not, I had a dream about my Uncle Emil, who is deceased,” King said. “We were eating pierogi together and he told me to cook the world’s largest pierog.”

King’s friend, former chef Eric Mansfield, helped devise the cooking plan.

Mansfield said it took 25 pounds of flour, 261/27 dozen eggs, a gallon of water, 40 potatoes, two pounds of butter and months of planning to make the 48-by-35-inch, 100-pound pierog.

You know, if my uncle Dave (a good guy, gone a long time now) appears to me in a dream, he better not ask me to cook something really large. I've got enough to do around here without providing kicks for the hereafter!

I guess in heaven there are no pierogis either.

2 comments:

Uriah said...

Mmmmm peirogi.....
Now you've gone and made me hungry!

Rich Horton said...

I know what you mean. There is supposed to be a good polish place in Minneapolis somewhere...gotta get the wife interested.