Saturday, May 26, 2007

Every Crazy Person Believes They Are Lucid

That is all I could think of when I read the following:

This week has been a tough one for a concept that's been dear to the Daily Kos community over these last five years: realism. We've prided ourselves on being realistic, on not trying to candy-coat ugly truths and not lining up to swallow attractive lies.
As a Peircean Pragmaticist I am forced to offer this response:

I have known realism all my adult life. Realism is the byword of my political, ethical and epistemological values. Realism is a friend of mine.

You, and your whole community, are not realists. You are ideologues: People who believe "reality" is determined by having the will to blindly hang onto a preordained ideological vision. As a matter of method, you are exactly like Bush and Company, and reality plays no role whatsoever in your vision for this country.

The very least you can do is not lie about being ideologues.

No comments: