Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Poking People With Sharp Sticks

Neil Steinberg at the Chicago Sun-Times seems to think antagonizing folks who are clearly nuts is fun:

I had hoped to print some of the more diverting replies from UFO true believers to my item on Monday noting the utter spuriousness of their claims. But, sadly, their e-mail was the same angry insistence that is the mark of the zealot.

Here's a 20-word taste of the top of one that more than handily stands in for them all:

"I've spoken with extraterrestrials, filmed them, and worked for the military for years. You my friend are an opinionated moron...."

Which brings up another undeniable refutation, at least to the whole contact-with-the-aliens crowd. A question for those who claim to have spoken with aliens: What was the most interesting thing these cosmic visitors had to say? Because any tourist from Britain will have fresh perspectives on America; imagine how much more insightful a superior alien intelligence from another world should be. What profound, new, or even interesting observations did these fresh eyes, or tentacles, or whatever, have to offer?

Let me guess: "Live in peace."

He is a braver man than I am. I've listened to enough "Coast to Coast AM" to know that the UFO people are a passionate bunch. Scary too.

No comments: