Friday, April 09, 2010

Speaking Of Vintage Cocktails....


Over the last couple of years I have become something of a devotee of the Monkey Gland Cocktail. Oh, yes, that is indeed the stuff. I have been recommending it enthusiastically, and have been successful in making converts, with the exception of the crowd that dislikes anything that even vaguely tastes of licorice. (Why anyone wouldn't love licorice is beyond me, but...)

The Recipe:

1 and 1/2 oz. Gin (Preferably good quality. Bombay Sapphire and Boodles work well, though I prefer Tanqueray.)

1 and 1/2 oz. orange juice

1 teaspoon grenadine

1 and 1/2 teaspoon pastis or absinthe (I use Pernod, though it is equally good with Ricard or Herbsaint. Absinthe is generally too expensive to be used in such a manner.)

Combine in a shaker half filled with ice. Shake the hell out of it and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. No garnish.

Enjoy!

P.S. Can you tell I've got Friday on my mind?

No comments: