Thursday, March 11, 2010

Hobnobbing With Spies

I never posted anything about it here on IMW, but last summer I experienced a shock when I discovered that one of my old employees from my Washington DC bookshop days turned out to be, along with her husband, spying for Castro. I did write a post, Working With “Agent 123″, that I published over at Blue Crab Boulevard, but for some reason never talked about it here.

A reporter saw my piece on Blue Crab and contacted me to get a little background on Gwen Myers' time at the old Cleveland Park Bookshop. It was published in Washingtonian magazine in October. It is a good article, and I encourage people to go read it.

I'll admit it strikes even me as odd that I haven't until now mentioned my connection to this relatively big news item on the blog. After all, it isn't the sort of thing that pops up every day. All I can say is there was always something profoundly depressing about the story for me.

Life is strange. If I wouldn't admit it before, I will now.

No comments: