Thursday, June 09, 2005

Still Playing Catch-Up

I realize it has been a little quiet around these parts. I've been back from England for over two weeks now, but I still feel like I'm not quite up to speed. It didn't help that we have had a sick cat over here, who is now feeling well enough to be ripping the hell out of my (still not put away) luggage with his claws.

There was a little break there while I was scolding my cat. I can't think of a bigger waste of time, but it makes me feel better....and he always likes the attention.

Anyway, I could have spent the last week or so giving my impressions of tidbits I missed while I was away. For example, I am pleased to see that on the day I left for London the Supreme Court did the right thing in Granholm v Heald and opened the way for a liberalization of wine shipping laws nationwide. I was a little suprised it was only a 5-4 decision. I didn't realize the "demon rum" faction of the Court was so strong. Had I been around to comment on the case in a more timely fashion I am sure I would have written something completely devastating that would have brought Justice Stevens to his knees. (I mean mentally of course. Physically, Stevens could be brought to his knees by a flight of stairs. He's ancient as hell.) Sadly, I wasn't here so that commentary is not to be.

Luckily, Kelo v. New London has not come down as of yet, so I will be fully prepared to bitch my head off when it does. (I hold little hope the court will do the right thing there.) Think of that as a screed in the making.

No comments: